Sunday, November 17, 2013

5-year-old drum major Taranza Mckelvin leads the Glades Central High School band...



BELLE GLADE, Fla. - Ever since he saw a marching band, Taranza Mckelvin has dreamed of being part of the show.
"I watched some of the band videos and it teaches me moves," said Mckelvin.
So, the 5-year-old decided to practice with Glades Central High School last summer at band camp.
"I was really nervous," said Mckelvin.
But little did he know, he was being recruited  to be one of the band's newest drum majors, and Saturday he made his debut in the biggest game in the Glades, the Muck Bowl.
"I was nervous when I first got out into the field, but then I just performed," said Mckelvin.
Dressed in his white and burgundy uniform, he led the Glades Central High School marching band onto the field for the halftime performance.
"He catches on a lot faster than most of my students, he's a very unique kid," said Charles Moorer.
Charles Moorer is the school's band director.
"He did his performance and the crowd just loved it," said Moorer.
It's a memorable moment for his dad, a South Bay city commissioner who marched in his college band.
"At 5-years-old, for him to do what he did on the field, we were all... his mom, me, and brother, we were all proud," said Taranza Mckelvin, Sr.
And for Taranza Jr., he sees this as a step down the path to an entertaining career.
"I love performing in front of a lot of people. It's really exciting, said Taranza.




No comments:

Post a Comment