Sunday, November 10, 2013

Iraq war veteran and PTSD sufferer Adam Morton is reunited with his dog Quincy...


DE SOTO, Iowa —An Iraq war veteran who suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder will soon be reunited with his service dog.
Adam Morton and his dog, Quincy, were inseparable. They even sleep next to each other every night.
"If I'm having a nightmare, he'll come and wake me up from it," Morton said.
Morton started having nightmares after serving two tours in Iraq. Quincy is one of the few things that he said comforts him.
Last week, Quincy got outside without a leash and went missing. Morton was in the midst of moving from Clive to Michigan to be closer to family. Devastated, Morton thought Quincy was gone forever.
"I didn’t think I was going to be able to get him back," Morton said.
A few days later, Quincy was found wandering in West Des Moines. Animal Control officers later delivered him to the AHeinz57 Pet Rescue and Transport Center in De Soto, a no-kill shelter led by Amy Heinz.
"He had been microchipped, and they checked the chip and they got the owner's name," Heinz said.
Heinz knew the only right thing to do would be to call Morton in Michigan.
"I mean, I can't describe it. It's just a big relief knowing that I'll have him back," Morton said.
A Vietnam veteran and Patriot Guard member has volunteered to make the 10-hour drive to Michigan to deliver Quincy to Morton over the weekend.
"It'll probably be hard for me not to cry," Morton said.

No comments:

Post a Comment