Thursday, November 14, 2013

Take that Cancer! Sean Dever lost his leg to cancer when he was 11 - yesterday he signed his letter of intent to play college lacrosse at Young Harris College!!!




"If you don't give up you'll like where you end up."

(Below is a post from his mom several months ago on caringbridge.org before she knew he was going to be playing goal for his college lacrosse team)

Dear Sean

Written Jul 11, 2013 9:36pm
Dear Sean,

 It has been six years today since your osteosarcoma diagnosis. Sometimes those feelings from that Wednesday night are right at the surface, other times I feel like we have aged 20 years. It is surreal what we have all been through...and that we actually smile now.

 This will be my last post on your CaringBridge website. I started it so we would be able to get information to all of our family and friends, and so we didn’t have to repeat ourselves twenty times a day! It evolved into a way to inform everyone about this incredibly awful disease that was attacking not only you but many, many other children. I would be remiss if I did not tell you that it was also a way for me to get all those emotions out through journaling/writing…I do not know what I would have done, how I would have functioned each day, if I did not have this outlet.  

 As you know, these past few years the site has also been our avenue to bring awareness about the inadequate fundings made available for research into childhood cancer. My goal was to make sure that not one other parent and child had to go through the hell we have. I hope we have done a little bit of that.

 But I believe the best form of awareness has been your decision to not let cancer stop you – not for one single minute!!  I do not know if anyone will ever know the extent of what cancer took from you but it is evident in your daily actions that you have the heart and intelligence to deal with whatever is placed in front of you.

 Today, I want this site to be a place, years from now, for your children to learn about their dad and how brave and strong he was when he was little. And that whatever hard times they may face they can overcome and all will be fine.

 Through you, Sean, we have all learned how to deal with challenges in this life with grace and a smile….not many people have that ability. I am just so damn sorry cancer had to happen for us to learn it.

Love, Mom  

More on Sean and Rotationplasty here: http://www.rotationplasty.com/Sean-Dever

No comments:

Post a Comment